Friday, June 27, 2008

6/26/08-Scouting Fish in the Woods Park


I had never fished in the Grosse Pointe Woods park before yesterday, and all I had heard about it was that it was terrible fishing. My friend Kous said he caught one largemouth there while only given a 10 minute oppurtunity. So we decided to head over there and try to catch some bass. It looked like I was going to get skunked again as I was having trouble figuring out the patterns of the park. I was casting a Zoom Baby Brush Hog while Kous was casting a Yum Dinger in Watermelon color like always. He got the first fish of the day a Largemouth that was around 12 inches. I got pretty frustrated where I started fishing so I moved all the way down to the end of the park to fish some boat wells.


I got one hit at the very end of the boatwells from a dink. Kous said he caught another Largemouth and showed me a picture, but I was reluctant to count it because he said it would've been close and we didn't have an exact weight on the fish. The very reason I bought a scale was to eliminate guessing from our tournamnet. Anyway I continued to cast in boatwells. I threw the bait right at the wall and pulled it over some weeds fast and a big bass nailed it. I didn't set the hook and pulled the hook right out of its mouth. I cast back in there thinking maybe he'd hit it again and sure enough he did. This time I got a good hook set, he tail danced two times and shot right under the dock that I was fishing from. I managed to pull him out but as soon as I did he shot the other way shaking the hook. It was a Bass that would've got me right back into the thick of things in the tournament.


I was bummed for awhile but decided to keep fishing. It wasn't long after I missed that fish that the pattern of the park started to make sense to me. I fished some more boatwells and managed to pull up a largemouth that was over 14 inches and weighed 1lb 4ounces pictured. It pretty much gave me a good lead for second, but the one that got away was the story of the day as I missed my chance for coming back for first. The ruling on the day was that the Woods Park had decent fishing, all the bass there seemed to be healthy. The Zoom Baby Brush Hog did good work again. I'm not sure where I'll fish today.


Thanks for reading, Bass-Sniper


No comments: