Sunday, June 15, 2008

6/15/08-Father's Day Fishing

Today I headed up to Misch Lake in Michigan to fish with my Dad for Father's day. As soon as we got up there I noticed a little bit of chop on a lake that is usually calm. Unfortunately I left all my tackle in my buddies car so I only had a few supplies including culprit curly tail worms, a Hula Popper, Rat-L-Trap and grubs with jig heads. I headed over to an inlet on the lake and pitched the popper in some softer patches of water under overhanging tree branches and around tree falldowns. I got a hit and I set the hook feels like I missed him. I keep trying to pop, but my popper kept sinking so I reeled in. Turned out to be a little bluegill was hooked on, which was a pleasent little suprise. I kept popping with no success so I thought I would reach into my limited bag of supplies.

I pulled out the curly tail worm in an earthy color and tied it on. I had no luck when I was casting it around, but as I had the boat drifting I noticed a fairly large hole in the ground where a tree had uprooted. I dropped the curly tail down into it and BAM! Got a decent hit I set the hook and pulled up this fella which I'd guess was 16inches and maybe a lb and 4 ounces. I kept casting my curly tail worm the rest of the time out there, but the wind actually pushed our boat into some reeds and then the battery on our trolling motor died.

The spot where we got pushed was so filled with weeds I couldn't even drop the curly tail down. After this we had to have someone else come and help us out of the irons. Once we got out we decided we had enough fishing for the day. The verdict on the day was pretty good I liked the earthy colored curly tail I was using and I really liked the popping action of the Hula Popper I had. I never got to break the Rat-L-Trap out, because I forgot it was in my shirt pocket, but I'll be sure to use it next time I'm out there.

It was a good day all in all, because I got to spend some qualtiy time with my Dad. Even though half the day was spent trying to get out of the wind. I hope you enjoyed the first installment of my fishing reports and I might get out Walleye and smallmouth fishing tonight if I'm not too preoccupied with the NBA finals.


Good Fishing everyone, Bass Sniper A.K.A. Walleye Assassin

No comments: