Sunday, June 22, 2008

6/22/08-Decent Day on the Milky River


Today was the second day I took my new raft out onto the Milky River here in Michigan. Again I was with my good buddy Kous, and we were determined to put ourselves on some fish this time. Instead of going straight down river, I battled the current to move up toward the water treatment station. I rowed all the way up to treatment plant and we flowed with the river back down. Here at the very top of the river is where we found a large weedbed. Kous pulled the first fish out a 12.5 inch largemouth that didn't count for our tournament. I caught the next fish a decent 14inch largemouth that weighed exactly one pound. Unskunking me and pushing me temporarily into first place for this week. We both were using green Yum Dingers, which provided the majority of the bite for the day. We caught a total of eight bass all on the Dingers. Most of which were baby bass or just a tad under our size limit.


We then floated back down river, under the overpass is where we got our next solid bite. Kous got it on a Texas rigged Dinger, but he missed two hits right in a row, one of which caused him to lose his Dinger. I casted my wacky rigged Dinger near where he got his hit and I caught it almost immediately. It was another Largemouth about 12.5 inches long. We continued to float down river Kous continued to cast his Texas rigged Dinger and I switched to a Johnson's Beetle Spin. Soon after I caught a decent Pumpkinseed, which I promptly released. We decided to call it a day and we started to row back to where we cast off. I had a small Largemouth I'd say 8inches on while rowing, but I lost it, which was no sweat. The rest of the unloading went fine all though we did briefly lose the seat cushions.


The ruling on the day was decent we got the first keeper out of the Sevylor Fish Hunter and post importantly we found where the fish are. Apparently there are a few Smallmouth in there and a couple big pike according to a man that was working in his backyard on the banks. The Dingers produced as they normaly do and the Beetle Spin was also a pretty good bait. It gets perfect hooksets on Bluegill. The Raft handled nicely in the swiftest current it has encountered. I think I need to get some sort of anchor for it. I may go fishing tonight, and I probably will tommorrow. Where? I don't know.


Thanks for reading, Bass-Sniper

No comments: