Tuesday, July 8, 2008

7/08/08-Big Bass in Shallow Water


Today my friends Kous and Tim went fishing with me, at the Grosse Pointe Park Windmille Point. I started out throwing a wacky rigged Zoom Baby Brush Hog around the middle of the pier. It wasn't long before I got my first hit, it hit pretty hard and I got a nice hook set. It turned out it was just a 10inch dink that wasn't even close to counting in our tournament. I decided to move on so I started trolling with a Storm Hot-N-Tot in a gold color. I got nothing trolling the hole pier the first time. The second time I hooked into a very very small largemouth and I stupidly reached my hand into its mouth to lip it and it through the hook right into my thumb. It got me pretty good, but it wasn't too bad. That was the extent of my luck for the day.

Kous was throwing a Texas Rigged Yum Dinger and he lost one dink largemouth but did manage to catch a dink smallmouth. Making our day the "Dinkmaster Classic". Tim who was also throwing a Zoom Baby Brush Hog did manage to catch a dink largemouth right after I caught my first. Right as we were getting ready to leave we were screwing around near the shallows and Tim tied on a Hula Popper in frog color. He got a big hit and set the hook he managed to get it over and it was a huge Lake St. Claire Smallmouth that measured 19inches and weighed 3lbs 4ounces. After this fish he took a commanding lead on our weekly tournament.

Tommorrow Kous and I will be heading to my Honey Hole out in my boat the Captain Kurtz hopefully we can manage some big bass. The ruling on the day is an A++ for the Hula Popper. It makes a very big splash, but that makes it a good top water popper for when the water isn't perfectly still. And it was pretty interesting that that big Smallmouth was hanging out in very shallow water and hit top water during the heat of the day.

Thanks for reading Bass-Sniper

No comments: